Thursday, September 6, 2012


Hi Everyone

I am returning to my home province. I came to Port Moresby in 2002, that's a decade ago and did Grade 9 at Port Moresby Grammar School. I continued to Grade 11 at Jubilee Catholic Secondary School and went to do Science Foundation at the University of Papua New Guinea in 2006.

I was fortunate to continue to Medical School and dropped out in 2009. Since 2009 life in Port Moresby has had various twists and turns. Selling betelnut (A Public Health Hazard) and writing kickass blogs (A Political Hazard) has got me to places I could never have imagined.

But even with the limelight of International recognition, there has been the dark side of living every day life in Port Moresby. As many of you may be aware, I have been clinically depressed these past few years. I know that the depression has been caused by the struggles of everyday life. Many city residents will also note that lately there has been a major crackdown on buai sellers like me.

The prevailing circumstances have made life in the city quite untennable. I've decided to move on. I'm going back home to the Western Province. I guess that's what PNGs middle class would like to see happen to all the 'unemployed' squatter settlers.

In some respects I am disappointed but one has to be pragmatic about life. Life as an idealist as actually been quite painful. Ultimately though, I've realized that there is so much others can do to help and the harsh reality is that we all have to fend for ourselves in order to survive.

It is this everyday struggle of life that breaks the human soul at a certain point. For some people, alcoholism, rascalism, or suicide are seen as a way out. For others, adaptation is needed to ensure that they survive. Whilst I have not been a huge fan of Social Darwinism, it is a practical reality to a certain extent. Unfortunately, I have had to adapt in order to survive the prevailing circumstances.

I have certainly enjoyed being part of the National discourse and have hopefully inspired a few Papua New Guineans to be independent thinkers.

I look forward to heading back to my home Province and lead a more private life. I know I have a lot to offer back home as well.

Western Province has the second lowest standard of education in the country. It also has the highest prevalence of Multi-Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR TB). Government services are non existent in some areas and the large complex geographical area presents enormous logistical challenges.

But the current political climate in the province also presents opportunities for constructive dialogue amongst all stakeholders for a way forward for the Province. I hope to join the development discourse when I go back home.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has been supportive of my blogging efforts. I wish you all the best in your endeavors.


Yours in service to humanity